[ Home |
Project Goals |
About the Author ]
[ Sourceforge Project (Forums, Bugs, Features, Develop) ]
[ Example Applications of Spike Hound ]
When publishing work using Spike Hound, cite:
Lott GK, Johnson BR, Bonow RH, Land BR, Hoy RR, "g-PRIME: A Free, Windows Based Data Acquisition and Event Analysis Software Package for Physiology in Classrooms and Research Labs"
J Undergrad Neurosci Ed, Fall 2009, 8(1):A50-A54
Spike Hound (formerly g-PRIME) is a data acquisition, Stimulus Generation, Instrument Control, and real time analysis package designed for use
in physiology research and education where continuous multi-channel data is acquired and discrete events are analyzed.
The software allows for connection to a broad range of popular data acquisition hardware from high end,
calibrated data acquisition boards to the sound card in your computer. Spike Hound allows for signal visualization,
real-time filter applications, audio output to a monitor, and data logging with associated meta-data.
The Spike Hound Oscilloscope
Spike Hound replaces and exceeds the functionality of several classical bench-top tools including the
oscilloscope and arbitrary function generator. Spike Hound offers many powerful features for scientific
visualization with a user friendly interface developed in a feedback process with neurophysiology
researchers and students at the university level. Development has continued under researcher driven feedback
at the HHMI Janelia Farm Research Campus in cutting edge neuroscience applications.
This software is written in the Matlab(r) scientific programming environment, but is compiled as a
stand-alone program (Windows ONLY) and does not require a Matlab license. As such, it supports all
of the hardware supported by the Matlab Data Acquisition Toolbox. The source code (.m file) is also available
for download for users who desire to customize the tool to their application. Development in this form WILL
require a Matlab license.
Spike Hound Analysis of a multi-unit nerve correlated with potentials in the muscle it innervates
- Software Oscilloscope with Multi-Channel Support, Trigger Modes, and Data Logging
- Supports Popular National Instruments DAQs, Windows Sound Card Inputs, and Other Hardware
- Output any channel (including filtered channels) to your computer speakers for audio monitoring
- Generate pulse trains or arbitrary waveforms (e.g. sine, triangle)
- Digital I/O Support
- Live band-pass and 60Hz notch filtering
- Threshold w/ window based event detection
- Real time analysis result visualizations
- Analytics: Time, Max/Min, Interval/Rate, Peak Frequency Content, Energy Density
- Cross channel correlation (event triggered averaging)
- Text based metadata logging
Press & Scientific Publications Using Spike Hound
Publications About Spike Hound
- g-PRIME: A Free, Windows Based Data Acquisition and Event Analysis Software Package for Physiology in Classrooms and Research Labs, Lott G, Johnson B R, Bonow R H, Land B R, Hoy R R, J. Undergrad Neuroscience Ed (JUNE), Fall 2009, 8(1):A50-A5
- Real-Time Development of Data Acquisition and Analysis Software for Hands-On Physiology Education in Neuroscience: g-PRIME, Lott G, Johnson B R, Bonow R H, Land B R, Hoy R R, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference 2009
- gPRIME - Data Acquisition & Analysis Software for Physiology in Research and Education, Lott G, Johnson BR, Bonow RH, Land BR, Hoy RR, Teaching Poster, Society for Neuroscience Meeting 2007
- GK Lott, Hybridizing Cellular and Behavioral Neurobiology with Modern Engineering Tools: Microelectronics, Microfabricated Devices, and Software Solutions for Physiology," PhD Dissertation, Cornell University, 2007
Courses Using Spike Hound
If you are using Spike Hound (or g-PRIME) in a course, Let me know!